Saturday, March 21, 2009

Munich, Germany

We were able to travel to Munich, Germany for a long weekend visiting long time friends Nate and Shera York. They have been living in Munich since last summer and will (hopefully) be coming back state side sooner rather than later. I was planning on going alone with Luke, but Forrest was able to change his work schedule at the last minute to be able to join us as well. I liked this arrangement because it meant that I got to sit in First Class from Houston to Amsterdam and back! Babies aren't allowed in first so I would have been in the back and all alone if Forrest hadn't been on the flight. Now, before you all think what a horrible mommy/wife I am I must remind you that he flew first all the way to Australia - and we weren't even on the same flight so he didn't have to feel guilty about me with the baby in the back of the plane. =) So now we are even. Luke was a bit more rambuncous on this trip than the last transcontinental adventure as he is much more mobile now. Here are a few (okay, several) pictures from our trip! Shera...I did my best with getting the locations right, but you can always help correct me if needed!


Just arrived, enjoying the cool weather at Odiensplatz. Our goal for the day was to find Luke some baby sized gloves...they just don't sell those in Texas!!!


The girls went out shopping and the boys went to a pub...we should have known! While they were there some old Brit came up to Nate and Forrest and told them that he thought Luke was thirsty and needed a bottle...it just wasn't fair that they were drinking their beer in front of the kiddo! I tell you, Europeans don't know how to mind their own business!



Brrr...a walk in the English Garden, beautiful, but if we look cold it's because we are!


As you can see, we did find baby mittens but Luke was not impressed. He hated getting all bundled up. Most German babies had a mummy-like blanket that kept them warm, but again, since we don't need that in Houston we didn't get one. Poor Luke. He still has all his fingers and toes though, so I don't think he got too cold. We did put his Uggs to good use though. =)



The wind was really blowing, you can see the snow flakes going diagonally!



Yes, that guy is really surfing. He must be CRAZY! It was sooo cold and I am sure the water must have been even more chilly...full body wetsuit or not. There were actually 3 or 4 guys taking turns in the river, it looks a bit hazardous if you ask me.


This was at the King's Market, a fun indoor shopping experience. They had all kinds of fun areas, meats, bakery, tea, wine, liqour...need I say more?




You can't go to Munich without going to at least one beer hall. Hofbrauhaus is probably the most famous of them all, it can get a bit touristy but it was fun.



Luke wanted a taste, he didn't think 2 one liter beers would be enough for him. Just kidding. To quote Shera, "no babies were harmed in the taking of this photograph!"


Oh yes, this guy is for real! We saw him as we entered the Hofbrauhas and I really wanted a picture. Lucky us, he was walking through the courtyard and was already posing for pictures with some other tourists when we were getting ready to leave!


Luke seems a little disturbed by the man's beard. I'm sure he is thinking "what is on your face?!"


We also went to St. Austusteiner beer house. This one has an old underground celler that they have converted into part of the restaurant, it was very cool.


Doesn't the lion look a little drunk? If you look closely his body is shaped like a bier stien and the mane looks like the foam!


You know you're in Europe when...you can buy Bier at McDonalds!


This is the Munich Monk, apparently he brings good luck or something to the people of Munich. I think he looks a little like the Grim Reaper but hey...I'm just a silly American!


And what can I say about this photo except it was just TOO CUTE to not post! =)

Thank you so much Nate and Shera for such a wonderful trip, we're so glad we were able to come out for a visit...even in the cold snowy weather! Enjoy the rest of your time over there but come home soon, we miss you!

1 comment:

The Yorks said...

Ohmigosh! Those pictures are great! And you got everything right Sarah, great job. I almost peed my pants seeing the picture of Luke and the guy with the beard! I'm glad you had such a good time, we miss having friends out here, so it was a real treat for you to come and visit! Miss you and hope to see you again soon!